Can I sync my SmarterMail calendar between my mobile and email applications?

I need to keep my calendar synced between both my phone and desktop e-mail client. I currently am using SmarterMail to host my e-mail. Is there a way to enable this sync functionality?

SmarterMail does offer the ability to sync your calendar between mobile and application devices. This is not included straight out of the box, however. In order to gain access to the syncing features of SmarterMail you will need to have the associated add-ons for the syncing functionality to work.

Since the protocols to sync are completely different between phone devices and e-mail applications (such as Outlook), there are two available add-ons to get the functionality that you’re needing.

We will discuss both of the available add-ons below:

Exchange ActiveSync (EAS)

Exchange ActiveSync is a SmarterMail add-on that allows you to synchronize your mobile phones (such as an iPhone) with your SmarterMail calendar. This allows you to have all your scheduled events directly within your mobile device that is stored within your SmarterMail e-mail users account.

This add-on uses a completely different protocol than standard desktop e-mail clients such as Outlook, Thunderbird, MacMail, etc… making this a mobile only feature. If needing desktop clients to synchronize with your SmarterMail calendar check out the EWS information in the next section.

The Exchange ActiveSync add-on is available for both professional and enterprise editions of smartermail. We have this service installed on a few of our shared mail services for clients needing this functionality. This add-on (for shared clients) is $4.95/month per e-mail user.

For clients needing their own dedicated SmarterMail server this add-on is priced according to the number of users you need this setup for. The options are below for reference:

Exchange (EAS) User Limit Price (US) Price (UK)
Exchange Activesync 25 users $24.95/mo £22.40/mo
Exchange Activesync 50 users $43.95/mo £39.55/mo
Exchange Activesync 100 users $62.95/mo £56.65/mo
Exchange Activesync 200 users $99.95/mo £89.95/mo
Exchange Activesync 300 users $149.95/mo £134.95/mo

The above is the add-on pricing for Exchange ActiveSync (EAS).

Exchange Web Services (EWS)

Exchange Web Services is a SmarterMail add-on that allows you to synchronize your desktop e-mail clients (such as Outlook, Thunderbird, MacMail) with your SmarterMail calendar. This allows you to have all your scheduled events directly within your desktop e-mail clients that are stored within your SmarterMail e-mail users accounts.

This add-on uses a completely different protocol than mobile devices, so this will not work for syncing your mobile devices. If needing to synchronize your mobile devices calendar with SmarterMail check out the section above for EAS.

The Exchange Web Services add-on is available only for enterprise editions of smartermail. In order to make use of this add-on you will need your own dedicated server that runs SmarterMail enterprise edition.

Exchange Web Services (EWS) Price (US) Price (UK)
Exchange Web Services $19.99/mo £17.99/mo

The above is the add-on pricing for Exchange Web Services (EWS).

Which add-on do I need?

This would depend on your specific needs. Please see the below scenarios to determine which add-on you might need:

Scenario #1:

If you are needing to access your calendar on both your mobile devices as well as your desktop e-mail clients, then you will want to have both add-ons enabled.

Both add-ons can be installed at the same time. You will just have to be on the Enterprise edition of SmarterMail in order to do so, as Exchange Web Services (EWS) requires this edition to be used.

Scenario #2:

If you are only needing to access your calendar on your mobile phone, then you will only need the Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) add-on.

Scenario #3:

If you are only needing to access your calendar on your desktop e-mail clients, such as outlook, then you will only need the Exchange Web Services (EWS) add-on.

1 Like